Immigrant

I really enjoyed reading the story Immigrant, but I’m not sure how I feel about the ending. On one hand, it does make sense that there could be technological/cultural/biological improvements that could potentially be detrimental to humanity’s progress as a species (the atomic bomb anyone?) but that doesn’t seem like a sufficient reason to keep all of humanity in the dark the way the Kimonians do. My main problem with Bishop’s conception of the Kimonian’s plan as a form of education is the fact that so much of the time the humans spend on Kimon is devoted to the Kimonians and their way of doing things. If the purpose of people being there is to help “improve” them then one must ask if they are really being improved or just made in the Kimonian’s image. I agree with the idea that humanity cannot be forced to improve itself, but if we are to improve it has to be through a means that is meaningful to us and not through some outsider who claims to be inherently superior.

Another random thought: Are the Kimonian’s really helping humanity by taking all of its greatest minds and keeping them separated from the rest of their species that could benefit from their expertise?  Would Einstein and Da Vinci have been sent to Kimon to tell stories to alien children if they lived during the time of this story?